Red Velvet Layer Cake
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 tbsp butter 1 stick, softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tbsp food coloring red
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F . Prepare cake pans with non-stick spray
- In medium sized mixing bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, & salt; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter and sugar; add eggs and vanilla. Beat on high until frothy.
- Stir together buttermilk and food coloring
- Alternating…add flour mix and buttermilk to butter mixture; set mixer to low.
- Stir in baking soda and vinegar.
- Mix 30 seconds on medium.
- Divide batter among cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool completely. Frost with luscious Cream Cheese frosting.
Loving this site and your yummy recipes!!
One question on this recipe though, to do the cake pictured do you do a recipe and a half?
One batter makes 2 8″ rounds plus 4-5 cupcakes. The cake and the cupcakes in the picture was a doubled recipe, we were going to a party. So to make the triple layer cake in the picture, yes, 1.5 times the recipe, and there would be enough left over for some cupcakes.
Or if you have 6″ cake rounds, the batter will make 3 6″ cakes.
Hope this helps,
Thanks for checking in!